Waste Not Napa Valley
Fighting hunger, filling plates, and reducing waste in the Napa Valley.
A Community Collaboration to Feed the Need within our community!
Please join us as we utilize the excess food for those in need.
Our goal is to minimize food insecurity for the people of Napa County.
Food insecurity is defined as “The state of being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.”
The effects of food insecurity: Household food insecurity has tremendous effects on the health and development of young children, including increased hospitalizations, poor health, iron deficiency, developmental risk and behavior problems, primarily aggression, anxiety, depression, and attention deficit disorder.
Did you know: In the United States, 40% of food is wasted while 1 in 5 children suffer from food insecurity?
In California, 1 in 4 children faces food insecurity.
In Napa County, 18.6% of children live in food insecure households. This is nearly 6,000 children!
You can help! As a food facility donating food, California state law protects you and supports food facilities that do the right thing!
- Any food facility may donate food to a food bank or to another non-profit charitable organization for distribution to persons free of charge.
- No facility that donates wholesome food shall be subject to civil or criminal liability or penalty for violation of any laws, regulations, or ordinances.
- A food facility that donates food will not be liable for any damage that results from the consumption of the donated food, regardless of compliance with any laws relating to the packaging, labeling, or storage after the donation.
- A food facility must handle and store the food to be donated in a safe and sanitary manner. Food donated to the less fortunate must be maintained in the same manner as food sold to your customers.
Can you think of any reason not to donate your leftover food now?
Help our Napa residents by donating leftover food today! Waste not, want not. Feed the need in our community.
Get your Food Safety Certification! Environmental Health will be hosting classes in October!
How You Can Help!!
The Table, a local non-profit, wants to partner with you to feed the hungry in our community. Waste Not Napa Valley is partnered with The Table, and we are local food gleaners that will be recovering excess food from vendors at the end of BottleRock this May. We hope that you join our local partners and choose to donate your extra food. Your tax-deductible donation will go to the Table, a non-profit organization. We will work with you to make donating simple. Our team will personally handle all logistics related to recovering the excess food. It’s a win-win for everyone!
If you wish to participate in our donation program, AND enjoy the benefits from a tax deduction, please contact us!
Ongoing Successful Programs which serve as a model
Waste Not OC Coalition – Ending Hunger and Food Waste in Orange County
This program has been very successful because the coalition includes members of:
- Business Community
- Faith Based Organizations
- Local Governmental Agencies
- Community Organizations
Food Runners – Alleviating hunger and preventing waste in San Francisco.
The Food Runners support volunteers that relay food – over 3,000 meals a day in San Francisco
- This program has 30 years of gleaning food and transporting to those in need